What is Performance Testing?
- Performance testing is a non-functional testing technique.
- Performance testing is a testing practice performed to determine how a system performs in terms of responsiveness, speed, scalability, and stability under a particular workload.
Attributes of Performance Testing:
- Speed is one of the major & important attributes of performance testing & it determines whether the application responds quickly
- Suppose an end-user is using your application and all/some of the important functionality is not responding quickly, he/she will never gonna use the same application again and switch to another application having good performance in terms of speed and response time
- Scalability testing is the testing of software applications to measure the maximum load which our application can handle
- ?The main goals of scalability testing is to determine the user limit for the software application and ensure end-user experience with heavy load on our software
- Stability testing is to determine whether the software application is behaving the same under changing loads
- As an example, If an e-commerce site stop behaving stably due to heavy traffic during festive offers it causes a lot of loss and creates a bad user experience
- Reliability testing is done to check whether your software is reliable or not
- By performing Reliability testing we can check whether your software is working without generating any issue for a specific amount of time
- As an example, In the earlier stage android devices were facing the lagging issue if any user is using it for a long period of time and need to clear ram to get it fixed. So we can say it was not reliable at an earlier stage.
Types of Performance Testing:
1. Load Testing:
- Load testing is performed to understand the behavior of the application under a specific load. It is performed to identify how the system is performing with normal and peak conditions
- For instance, your application is performing very smoothly with five hundred users but when it comes to one thousand users at the same time it is failing to perform smoothly as it was with five hundred users. So by performing load testing before launching our application ensures that our application will perform best under a specific load
2. Stress Testing:
- The objective of stress testing is to identify the peak point from where a software application starts to behave poorly
- It will help tester and developers to identify the behavior of application and recovery of an application under stress testing
3. Volume Testing:
- Volume testing is performed to identify the behavior of an application after adding a certain amount of data to the database
- Volume testing helps in identifying issues due to heavy data and prevent future maintenance costs at an early stage.
- By volume testing, we can identify the issue that is likely to occur with heavily loaded data
4. Spike Testing:
- Spike testing is performed to check how our application is behaving while increasing traffic suddenly in a very large amount
- The goal of spike testing is to determine the behavior of an application when it receives extreme variations in traffic
5. Soak Testing:
- Soak testing is performed to determine the behavior of the application and parameters of the system continued for a certain amount of time
- Soak testing is also known as Endurance testing
- The main goal of soak testing is to identify if the system is able to bear the continuous workload.
Importance Of Performance Testing:
- Performance testing is as important as functional testing and each developed system should be pass from performance testing to get the engagement of end-users with our System
- With the help of Performance testing, we can provide end-users a good response time from the website/Application & we can build good user engagement via it.
- Via performance testing, we can resolve glitches before it goes in the market
- Performance testing helps to identify issues related to API’s and database at an early stage
- We can bring stability and enhance the scalability of our application with the help of performance testing
Performance Testing Tools:
There are a number of performance testing tools available in the market as mentioned below:
- Apache Jmeter
- HP LoadRunner
- RedLine13 and many more…
Performance testing is as important as all other testings like functional, network testing, etc and we should have to take care of it before launching our own product to market. So that we can prevent huge failure and later maintenance charges
For professional paid support, you may contact us at [email protected] .